PRETORIA - A pastor of the Soshanguve Church, End Times Disciples Ministries, has come under fire for allegedly using the unconventional methods of having congregation members strip and then stepping on them to preach.
Images that were posted to the church's Facebook page on Thursday went viral on social media and across the internet.
In the images, members of the church can be seen stripped down to their underwear and the pastor is seen stepping on some.
In a caption for the image of the pastor jumping on members, it is implied the congregants felt no pain as God is with them.Francesco Camilliani (1530 Florence – 1586) was a Tuscan sculptor of the Renaissance period. His son Camillo Camilliani (died 1603) was later a sculptor too, working in Palermo, where he also worked as an architect and held the post as well of ingegniere del Regno, "engineer to the Kingdom of Sicily".Camilliani was praised in one of Cosimo Bartoli's Ragionamenti Accademici; in the course of a stroll through Florence the interlocutors in Bartoli's dialogue say of one of Camilliani's statues, that, had it been buried and rediscovered, it would have been praised heartily.This piece was originally commissioned for the garden of the villa outside Florence of Luigi Alvarez de Toledo, son of the viceroy Don Pedro Álvarez de Toledo and brother-in-law of Cosimo I de' Medici; it was completed in 1555.Camilliani was aided in the grand project by the garzoni of his studio, including the Florentine Michelangelo Naccherino (1550–1622), or Vagherino Fiorentino.
In its original site, Giorgio Vasari called it a "most stupendous fountain that has not its peer in Florence or perhaps in Italy." Under pressure to make economies in his style of living, and perhaps with reservations about the completed fountain's crowd of ignudi, in January 1573 Don Luigi permitted it to be bought by the Senate of Palermo, through the intervention of his brother Don Garçia, the former viceroy and Governor of Palermo.
It was dismantled into six hundred and forty-four pieces and transported to Palermo, and set up there by Camillo Camilliani, who had to concentrate its elements in the more constricted urban space, and to oversee some additions to render it more suitable for Sicily, which included a Venus by Antonio Gagini.
The sculpture of the fountain depicts fables, monsters, and nymphs all spraying jets of water, which also falls and cascades between them.
Once locally known as the Fontana della Vergogna, the "fountain of shame”, because of the nude statues that stand around the base of each tier, it is one of the few true pieces of High Renaissance art in Palermo.
Piazza Pretoria, also known as square of Shame, is at the limits of the district of Kalsa, near the corner of Cassaro with Via Maqueda, just a few meters from the Quattro Canti, the exact center of the historic city of Palermo .
In 1573 the Senate of Palermo bought a fountain initially intended for the Palace of San Clemente in Florence, with the intention of placing it in the square.