292 INSTITUTING THE "ADMINISTRATIVE CODE OF 1987" WHEREAS, the Administrative Code currently in force was first forged in 1917 when the relationship between the people and the government was defined by the colonial order then prevailing; WHEREAS, efforts to achieve an integrative and over-all recodification of its provisions resulted in the Administrative Code of 1978 which, however, was never published and later expressly repealed; WHEREAS, the effectiveness of the Government will be enhanced by a new Administrative Code which incorporates in a unified document the major structural, functional and procedural principles and rules of governance; and WHEREAS, a new Administrative Code will be of optimum benefit to the people and Government officers and employees as it embodies changes in administrative structures and procedures designed to serve the people; NOW, THEREFORE, I, CORAZON C.
(4) Agency of the Government refers to any of the various units of the Government, including a department, bureau, office, instrumentality, or government-owned or controlled corporations, or a local government or a distinct unit therein.
(5) National Agency refers to a unit of the National Government.
(6) Local Agency refers to a local government or a distinct unit therein.
(7) Department refers to an executive department created by law.
For purposes of Book IV, this shall include any instrumentality, as herein defined, having or assigned the rank of a department, regardless of its name or designation.
(8) Bureau refers to any principal subdivision or unit of any department.
For purposes of Book IV, this shall include any principal subdivision or unit of any instrumentality given or assigned the rank of a bureau, regardless of actual name or designation, as in the case of department-wide regional offices.
(9) Office refers, within the framework of governmental organization, to any major functional unit of a department or bureau including regional offices.
It may also refer to any position held or occupied by individual persons, whose functions are defined by law or regulation.
(10) Instrumentality refers to any agency of the National Government, not integrated within the department framework vested within special functions or jurisdiction by law, endowed with some if not all corporate powers, administering special funds, and enjoying operational autonomy, usually through a charter. - Official copies of annual reports shall be deposited with the National Archives and shall be open to public inspection. - Whenever real property of the Government is authorized by law to be conveyed, the deed of conveyance shall be executed in behalf of the government by the following: (1) For property belonging to and titled in the name of the Republic of the Philippines, by the President, unless the authority therefor is expressly vested by law in another officer. - Whenever property other than real is authorized to be conveyed, the contract or deed shall be executed by the head of the agency with the approval of the department head.
This term includes regulatory agencies, chartered institutions and government-owned or controlled corporations. - Each chief of Bureau or other officer of the government shall make such special reports concerning the work of his Bureau or Office as may from time to time be required of him by the President of the Philippines or Head of Department. CHAPTER 12PUBLIC CONTRACTS AND CONVEYANCES Section 47. - Contracts or conveyances may be executed for and in behalf of the Government or of any of its branches, subdivisions, agencies, or instrumentalities, including government-owned or controlled corporations, whenever demanded by the exigency or exigencies of the service and as long as the same are not prohibited by law. (2) For property belonging to the Republic of the Philippines but titled in the name of any political subdivision or of any corporate agency or instrumentality, by the executive head of the agency or instrumentality. Where the operations of the agency regularly involve the sale or other disposition of personal property, the deed shall be executed by any officer or employee expressly authorized for that purpose. Conveyance of National Government Property to Local Governments.