He was the first Englishman to set foot in what is now this province. Another prominent name in Alberta Freemasonry is that of J. Little, an Edmonton business man, who presented his petition for affiliation on April 30, 1894. It was very close quarters for work in the Ancient York Rite but the price was right at 53.00 per month. Puffer was initiated and commenced an outstanding record of a family in Freemasonry that has continued down to the present. Rutherford, who was to become the first Premier of Alberta and later the Chancellor of the new University of Alberta. Acadia almost failed to qualify for its Charter because, although the Lodge approved its By-Laws on May 27, 1897 and mailed them to the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba, the Post Office never did deliver them. The Lodge rented space in the It is reported that W. Thomas Bellamy held the position of Lodge Treasurer for twenty years. sponsored a petition recommending a dispensation to establish a lodge in Red Deer. Fream as Worshipful Master with twelve Charter members to support him, among them was Bro.
Henday was a fur trader and to the delight of the Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company, he discovered a lucrative fur producing area. His family has continued in the Masonic Tradition until the present time bringing great distinction to the Order. had received a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of Manitoba on June 26, 1894, just a few days after Innisfail. Later this building became a Chinese Laundry and was demolished only a few years ago to make room for an urban renewal program. At this same meeting Candidates were passed and raised. Puffer who commenced the first Historical Register of Eureka Lodge and then ensued a space of thirty-two years in which there was no entry. Puffer took up the pen again and attempted to fill in the history of the missing years. In fact it was to cease to be a part of Edmonton and to become a separate municipality in 1899. Previous to this historic event the Masons in South Edmonton had banded together with enough strength to petition the Grand Lodge of Manitoba for a dispensation which was issued on January 28, 1897 and the lodge was Chartered on June 10, 1897. A new set of by-laws had to be scribed out hastily but were not approved by Grand Lodge until 1899, some years after the Charter had been granted. He is said to have been one of the best ritualists in the area. On July 27, 1899 a second dispensation was issued naming Bro.
Following Henday fur traders poured into the West and few people considered it to be anything more than a source of valuable furs. The small town of Innisfail was to be the next location of a Masonic Lodge. The Lodge was constituted on August 7, 1895 and was composed of members preferring to work in the Ancient York Rite as distinct from the Canadian Rite used by Bow River Lodge. At one point in its history Eureka suspended eleven members for non payment of dues. The fact that Acadia had received a Charter was a source of great pride to the members. The reason for this, according to reports, is that his business required that he travel considerably by horse and buggy. Bellamy would recite the ritual aloud to the wide open spaces while driving.
In July of 1789 Alexander Mc Kenzie arrived at Fort Chippewayen and traveled north to the mouth of the Mc Kenzie River. Campbell, although he lived in Fort Macleod until his death in 1920, took a demit in 1897 and was never at a Lodge meeting again.opinion that the formation of a Grand Lodge of Alberta is premature and that this Lodge, Alberta No. One of the first petitions received was from John H. Kemmis who later became Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Alberta and Grand Secretary from 1928 to 1942. Spitzie Lodge held its regular meetings on the Friday on or before the full moon. The Charter was granted on June 16, 1893 with a membership of thirty-four. It was just about one hundred years since Anthony Henday had arrived at the high point of land between Innisfail and Red Deer that a few Masons gathered together in the little town to consider the possibilities of establishing a Lodge there. The Lodge had seventeen Charter members and its first Worshipful Master was R. The final report of the committee was given in 1898 and the framed Charter was placed in the Lodge room. Bellamy made an error the horse would come to a complete stop and refused to budge until the error was corrected. Jasper Lodge met first in Hourston's Hall, later over Johnston-Walker's store on Jasper Avenue East. Then in 1900 with a population of some 300 citizens it became the Town of Red Deer. Gee remained in this position until October 21, 1896 when the Lodge ceased to exist. History moved on, Red Deer grew, the railroad had arrived and the Masons were not to be vanquished.
Three years later he navigated the Peace River and arrived at the Pacific Ocean. Thus the northern part of the province was well charted and the routes to be followed were well known. 37, would still continue its affiliation to the Grand Lodge of Manitoba and that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to North Star Lodge in Lethbridge." North Star agreed with the attitude of Alberta No. The Lodge, at its beginning was without a secretary and Mr. The Canadian Pacific Railway had decided that it was essential to connect Calgary and Edmonton by rail. Govern of the North West Territories filled a wheelbarrow with dirt and it was emptied at the point where the Calgary to Edmonton railroad was to begin. The fee for a Charter Member was .00, the initiation fee .00, the yearly dues were .00 and an affiliation fee was .00. During this period the importance of the fur trade had receded and the richness of agriculture had taken over. The next year Acacia found that it was not located in South Edmonton but in a new village, on the same site, now called Strathcona. On December 14, 1903 it moved to the Masonic Hall on 102nd Street south of Jasper Avenue. 53 and that Lodge rented space to Jasper Lodge for .00 per month for 24 meetings per year. was formed the hamlet of Red Deer had been established in the year 1884 on the homestead of a pioneer missionary, Rev. At that time it was one hundred miles away from any railroad for it was not until 1890 that the C. Naturally with that number of people it was assumed that there were enough Masons residing there to form a Lodge. From the scanty records it must be concluded that the Lodge got off to a very shaky start.
It was on October 5, 1795, that William Tomison set his men to work to build Edmonton House at the mouth of the Sturgeon River, the purpose, of course, was to establish a trading post for furs with the Hudson's Bay Company. M." Finally it appears that cooler heads prevailed and on November fourth he was received in Alberta No. 37 but when the Province of Alberta was formed in 1905 both Lodges cooperated. It was a time of celebration and people gathered from miles around including a pioneer missionary from Red Deer, Rev. A 1,400 Pound steer was roasted and consumed together with a carload of beer in kegs. Again the procedure followed by other Lodges took place and the Grand Lodge of Manitoba granted a dispensation. The seal of the Lodge had to be returned to Winnipeg so that Grand Lodge could make the appropriate adjustments. John De Sousa of Calgary instituted the Lodge on October 5, 1900 and the officers of Jasper Lodge U. Any additional meetings brought an extra charge of .50 for each meeting. The Grand Lodge of Manitoba actually agreed to issue a dispensation and a meeting was held on to institute a Lodge. Since Elias Code refused to take the Tyler's Oath he was excluded from the meeting. In fact the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba suggested by letter on April 16, 1896 that there be a change in officers and that Brother C.
James Hughes was commissioned by the North West Company in 1798 to build another fort, which he called the New Fort Augustus and it was likely built on the site of the present City of Edmonton. It became the stopping place of fur traders, adventurers, missionaries and fortune hunters. The enthusiasm of the Brethren in Fort Macleod for the basic fundamentals of Freemasonry undoubtedly motivated many of its difficulties for the early Freemasons protected zealously what they considered right and proper. The line was completed the next year and ended in South Edmonton across the river from Edmonton. Mail arrived in Strathcona on the second Thursday of each month which also happened to be the meeting night of Acacia Lodge. It should be noted that in the Fall of 1902 the Low Level Bridge was completed and now the trains no longer completed their runs in Strathcona.
The Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company carried on rival businesses until their amalgamation in 1821. During the years that followed, Masonry in was to be enriched by the determination of Alberta No. Towns were At the same time and three years following the demise of Saskatchewan Lodge No. was called on to sponsor yet another Masonic Lodge in the district of Alberta and the Grand Lodge of Manitoba granted a dispensation to Edmonton Lodge No. There were times when the coming of the mail overshadowed the importance of the Lodge meeting and there was no quorum for the meeting. They now travelled over the Low Level Bridge to the depot of the Yukon and Pacific Railway which was located at the foot of Mc Dougall Hill.
The huge expanse of Rupert's Land was left to be exploited until it was purchased by the Canadian Government in 1870. was instituted on February 13, 1882 and consecrated on April 21, 1883. 37 to maintain inviolate our ancient customs and usages. passed through on the way to establish Fort Macleod assumed importance and a connecting link between Medicine Hat and Fort Macleod. was granted a dispensation by the Grand Lodge of Manitoba on April 16, 1888 and its Charter under that Grand Lodge is dated The hamlet of Banff now enters the historical picture. Cascade Lodge became, and continues to be, the host of many Masonic meetings. 17, on the evening of July 22, 1892, Ibbetson's Hall in Edmonton was the setting for a meeting where the Freemasons in Edmonton would consider, again, the possibility of having a Lodge in their town. Some discussions were held about changing the night of the meeting in order to avoid the conflict but there is no record of action being taken. The North West Territories Act of 1875 established a government for the district with a Lieutenant Governor and five appointed counsellors. Meanwhile Fort Edmonton prospered and on December 6, 1880 the first issue of the Edmonton Bulletin appeared. The Charter members numbered 13 among whom was one James Lauder, a increasing number became permanent residents. Campbell not to visit the Lodge as "the Brethren of Alberta Lodge No. It also contributed to the Grand Lodge of Alberta some most devout and dedicated Masons. For several years a paddle boat had been sailing between Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. Its natural and awesome beauty made the area important to the Canadian Pacific Railway not only as an important divisional point but also as an early tourist attraction. M., the Grand Lodge of Manitoba granted a dispensation to Cascade Lodge No. In 1894 the Grand Lodge of Manitoba decided that it should hold its Annual Communication in Banff. Seven members of the defunct Saskatchewan Lodge, plus eleven more, brought the total to eighteen. We presume another solution was found for the dilemma. The Lodge as Landlord was obliged to pay the Janitor which cost.25 per month. It was to be published every Monday morning from December 1st to May 1st with a subscription price of .00 for the season. The telegraph line had been extended to Edmonton but a break in the line at Hays Lake prevented up to date news in time for publication. James Price of Fort Saskatchewan received a legacy of ,500.00 in the last mail. of Canada asking a Charter for a Lodge in Edmonton." Freemasonry was about to arrive in Alberta. The shifting of the population was not conducive to the growth of a Masonic Lodge. There is a record of a Masonic Ball in December 1881, held in Mc Dougall Hall. Despite some devoted efforts Saskatchewan Lodge No. It fell behind in the payment of its Grand Lodge Dues but later paid them. Campbell would result in the dissolution of Alberta Lodge No. The Lodge wrote to the Grand Master asking him to direct R. The old Whisky Post of Fort Whoop-Up which was vacant when the first detachment of N. As traffic increased a narrow gauge railroad was built between the two towns. The natural flow of hot sulphur water added to the impetus for exploitation. One of the early Whisky Forts in Southern Alberta was called "Spitzie" an old Indian term for "high bluff". P.; John Herron, a rancher and Ab Mc Cullogh, a rancher, met together and decided that there were enough Freemasons in the area to form a Lodge. The suggestion that the name "Saskatchewan" be revived did not meet with favour and the name "Edmonton" was selected. There was a constant concern in Acacia Lodge about its Lodge Room located in Ross Hall and owned by one Brother Ross. The Brethren decided this was an exorbitant wage and reduced the pay to .15 per month. However they expected a man to leave the next day and service should be restored in a week. There was only three inches of snow on the ground but the temperature was 47 degrees below zero (F). It was the Grand Lodge of Manitoba that granted a dispensation on January 13, 1882 for the establishment of the first Freemasons' Lodge outside the boundaries of Manitoba. For the Installation of Officers in March 1886 there were not enough Past Masters available to conduct the ceremony and the Grand Lodge of Manitoba issued a dispensation "empowering Brother Donald Ross, pending installation, to confer degrees and transact general business of this Lodge until he can secure the required number of Past Masters to perform the Installation Ceremony."ln 1888 the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba reported that Brother Francis D. 17, had written a letter dated January 11, 1888 saying "The Worshipful Master and Officers of Saskatchewan Lodge No. Campbell would be appointed District Deputy Grand Master in 1890, Alberta Lodge objected strenuously and declared that an official visit by R. The engineer on the paddle steamer and the engineer on the first train to arrive in Lethbridge from Medicine Hat over the narrow gauge railway was a Freemason by the name of Thomas Mc Pherson. Wherever there was activity it was inevitable that Freemasons would discover some of their Brethren. binding the East to the West there was a movement in the town of Banff to establish a Lodge there. This name was to be continued with a much more respectable connotation when the Brethren in the town of Pincher Creek decided to call their Masonic Lodge by that name. The dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of Manitoba on May 1, 1890. Brother Ross put two proposals before Acacia Lodge. Even with the use of the Hall by several organizations the finances of Acacia were precarious and both Bro. Buried in the middle of a huge variety of interesting information is the paragraph, "A Petition has been forwarded to the Grand Lodge A. 17 have decided to return the Charter of this Lodge as they find it impossible to keep it up any longer."The Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba of 1889 report that Saskatchewan Lodge No. In fact Mc Pherson has a real place in Canadian History for during the Riel Rebellion of 1885 he was the engineer on the steamboat "Northcote" that was transporting troops and supplies from Swift Current to Prince Albert. Diefenbaker once called "the last naval battle to be fought in Canada". Mc Pherson survived all the dangers of naval warfare, the paddle steamer and the narrow gauge railroad and became the first Worshipful Master of North Star Lodge No. Indeed when he was 79 years of age he travelled from Tacoma, to Lethbridge to preside over the Fortieth Anniversary meeting of North Star Lodge. Thus as soon as Lord Strathcona had driven the last spike in the C. In January 1890 three Masons, Inspector White-Fraser, R. The first was that he would rent the hall for .00 per month and remain the landlord. Ross and the janitor had a difficult time in collecting their money. 17 had voluntarily surrendered its Charter and had returned to the Grand Lodge Office its records. The "Northcote" was shelled by the Riel Rebels causing what our late brother the Rt. The second was that Acacia Lodge would be both landlord and tenant for .00 per month. Acacia then rented the Hall to the Town of Strathcona for .00 per month. January 1901 was very cold and dissatisfaction was expressed both because the heating system was inadequate and also because Bro. However the matter was resolved when blinds were bought for the windows to ensure privacy.